Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Hat #9.... The 13 Hats of Halloween.


    Since the veil between the worlds is getting quite thin by now I decided to dig out a special hat box. It has the small midnight blue clutch hat that Lulu wore to church, my mother's wedding hat and this lovely wool and satin toque that belonged to my unofficial grandma. The netting may be gone, but the memories carry on. Her name was Beulah Fern Reynolds... and what a wonderful and interesting lady she was to grow up around!  And I always called her Mrs. Reynolds... that was the respectful thing to do. None of this first name stuff with your elders!
    She had two sisters and  when they came to visit they were like a Midwest version of the Wyrrd Sisters.  Fascinating women! Very intelligent, very opinionated and funnier than hell on a Friday night!


   I was really blessed to have those ladies in my life. It certainly gave me a healthy perspective when it comes to viewing the ageing process.
   Beulah taught me to always improve myself. Learn and practice good manners. Always try something that you haven't before. KEEP learning.... no matter your age. (All three sisters had been teachers in one room schoolhouses in Nebraska back in the day. And that means from approximately 1916 on.) Be opinionated, but not rude or crass. Remember that the most important book in your home is the dictionary... and use it often!  Be honest and act with integrity... always. Most important of all is to be true to yourself.
    Yes, it was really great to grow up with her as an integral part of my life. 
   
   So to the spirit of Mrs. Reynolds I would like to say that I love you and miss you. May we meet again in another life.   Blessings and Love from the bane of your existence. 

*As a child I asked her sooooo many questions that she nicknamed me "the bane of my existence". I always loved that!  hahahahaha

1 comment: