Friday, April 3, 2015

How did I lose three Fridays?? Plus... when hats arrive smashed!

"So here I sit amongst the canines in repose, for what reason I do not know... nor do I care. I spend my days resting upon towers of hat boxes, dreaming of ancient temples in lands far from this place. Often, my human servant will anoint me with fine vintage perfumes and burn beautiful handmade incense to honor me. My life is simplicity at its best... so I am content to grace these creatures with my divine presence."      ~ Coco Kitteh


    Today for Freyja's Friday I've decided to post a photo of Coco. It was her paw with the amber necklace in my first post of this kind.
    Oh my, thought I'd missed out on one, maybe two, Friday postings.... but I see that isn't the case. Sheesh! Really and truly I can't figure out where the time goes. But in my defense, things have been a bit busier around here and at my part time job. And my mother's mental condition has worsened noticeably. As a caretaker its a lot of stress to try and handle.  Thank goodness I have my "end-of-day therapy sessions".... which is a fancy sounding way of saying that I try on my hats!!! hahaha  Seriously though, it really does help.
   Yesterday evening I unboxed a hat that I purchased on Ebay quite a while ago. When it first arrived I was so horrified at how it had been packed, and summarily crushed, that I repacked it in something safe and promptly retreated to my bedroom to just sit in disbelief!
   ONLY NOW AM I ABLE TO RECOUNT THAT HEINOUS SIGHT!  But you will have to bear with me if I falter in my retelling of these events... the trauma still lingers!      You think I'm being too dramatic don't you? Well, I'm NOT.  I purchased a black and white wide brim straw hat by Frank Olive. In wonderful condition too.   Then it arrived on my porch packed in two pizza boxes.....  Yep, that's what I said "PIZZA BOXES"!  They had been taped together in the middle with regular clear tape. Now, to begin with, the boxes are NOT tall enough to put a hat this size in. So the seller must have had to "smush" the crown down in order to close the boxes. May I remind you this is made of straw and its a older hat. Straw can become brittle with age. (Need a pause here....)  Anyway, the "box" had gotten thoroughly smashed in transit.... I mean, what would one expect to have happen with two pizza boxes!! NO SUPPORT WHATSOEVER IN THE CENTER!!!   ( I think I need a chocolate milk break..... getting way too worked up over the gross stupidity... wait a minute. Note to Self: try not to be so ornery. Let me give this another try... getting upset over the mindless negligence of people when they overlook simple, yet important details. There. That sounds better. Mind you its not nearly as satisfying as a good bitch-fest, but it will have to do)
    To get back on track with the story... the hat arrived smashed pretty badly. Only the fact that it is a well constructed hat saved it from total destruction. The straw is broken almost all the way around the crown base, plus in several areas on the sides of the crown and one small place on the very top. The brim is relatively unscathed. There are two roses that are pretty flat, but then I'd like to get better quality ones to replace them anyway. The netting is good and that's always a plus!
    Now y'all know what I'm talking about when I say how horrible it was! The bad news is that I know of no milliner even remotely nearby who might be able to help repair and extend its little life. I have some notions I'd like to try here at home, but I fear I might really mess it up! hahaha   Oh well, if I can reinforce it somehow... guess that means I'll be searching the internet for books and videos.  
    Will have to put a millinery course on my bucket list! chuckle

No comments:

Post a Comment