Friday, February 27, 2015

Freyja's Day....... Old bakelite (?) bead and mystery metal necklaces.


    I love these! Wasn't certain of the best way to photograph them, so hey! They look good up against the denim shirt I'm wearing... so why not? Not really sure what they are. Have never even tested for bakelite because I feel pretty safe saying that's what the beads are. The metal content is a whole different story. I was a teenager when I bought my first one in a thrift shop and I figure it was some kind of  cheap pot metal. Have seen folks on line claiming theirs were old coin silver. Since I don't know how to test metal, then it will just remain a mystery for now.    Whatever they are.... they look awesome on!!!  


    The necklace above is the one I bought forty years ago. It hangs down to my navel area so its definitely not something to wear if you have any work to do! haha   But if you want to add a little drama... then a long necklace can certainly accomplish that goal. I'm guessing its from the 30's or 40's. I'm pretty sure that chain tassels like this were from those eras.


   Here is another one that I found recently online. It has five beads instead of three, is just a little shorter (maybe two inches) and the metal seems to be a little bit different... at least the chain is. But it still has that vintage flair that I look for! You should see these up against black silk or satin... or indigo! WOW!!

No comments:

Post a Comment